Wednesday, March 25, 2009

We Crashed!

No, not a car accident...our computer. Actually it was my husband's work computer. His job allows him to bring his laptop home and they also allow him to use the internet at home. So, we were taking advantage of the situation, and had no internet hooked up at home. But, all of the computers crashed! So I have been out of a computer for a few weeks and it was driving me crazy! How attached we become to our "technology"!! It hasn't even been that long that we didn't have any of it. No email, no internet, no cell phone, no texting! I certainly was not able to text friends during English class! And the internet was still pretty new when I was in high school.
I'm not saying that I want to go back to the way things were before this technology was available! I just wonder what some of our grandparents saw our parents suddenly not being able to live without, and had some of the same thoughts. Things like using a washer and dryer, dishwasher, car, television, etc. Things I grew up with and took for granted. I don't know what it was like without all of these things. (well, we did grow up without an automatic diswasher. Mom and the kids were the "dishwasher". Mom just got one for the first time just about a year ago!) I really wonder how we would all react if we were suddenly without the technology. Would we know that we CAN just walk a couple of blocks to our neighbors house and visit? Do we know that we CAN pick up a newspaper and read what is going on in the city, state, nation, world? Do we know that we CAN pick up a pen, get a sheet of paper, and write a letter to a friend? We can even send photos with the letter! Would we know how to use the library? How many of our jobs would be gone without computers? I know I would have to do a lot more planning and would have to buy a lot more books to be able to homeschool my children properly. Would we walk or ride a bike to the grocery store if we were not able to drive a vehicle?

Sorry, I really just wanted to let everyone know why I haven't posted for a month again, and just keep rambling on...I'll quit ranting now and be more positive next time!

1 comment:

Richins Family said...

How funny to really think how dependent we are on all of the technology today. Sometimes I look back and think how much slower my life seemed just over 10 years ago. My how things change. Kids these days would not know what to do without texting. I wonder what it will be like for my kids in 10 years. What will they be most dependent on? Great post and good to see that you are back to the blogging world :)