Thursday, July 10, 2008

4th of July Fun!


The Gianfelice Family--Very patriotic in dress!
Our Independence Day celebration started with the Mendenhall family at Canyon View park in Spanish Fork. Dad trucked down the grill and we had hamburgers and hot dogs and all the trimmings. My brother, Cory, made homemade root beer (yum!). My parents, Cory, Aprel and their two kids Leah and Nicholas, Mike and Amber and their little Nash, Tyler and Amanda, Aprel's sister, Miriam, and her family joined us, as well as Richard and Tamara Davis with their daughter Karissa. My kids, of course, did more climbing in the trees than anything. They got my niece Leah climbing, and I really don't know how much Cory and Aprel appreciated that!
Even Jason got his chance at attempting to climb the tree.
Here is Nash watching Daniel burn some "snakes"

A close-up of the snake. I've always thought they look like dog doo-doo.

I wish I would have taken more pictures of everyone at the park, but Kinsey was being a little bit wah-wah, so I had to tend to her.

I was also talking to Richard and Tamara about their daughter Hayley. We grew up together and were good friends all throughout high school. I haven't seen any of my friends for years! I am so bad at keeping in touch with them. Anyway, Hayley had her first baby boy a little over a month after I had Kinsey, so I was asking how she was doing and how the baby was doing. When we were leaving, I told Tamara to tell Hayley "hi" for me the next time she talked to her. Well, as I was entering Wal-Mart in Orem later that day, who did I run into but Hayley! I was so happy to see her, and her little boy, Forrest, is such a doll! I couldn't believe how perfect he was! Hayley, of course, looked great and I am so happy that I ran into her!

Our evening began by having an Argentine asado, or barbecue. Andres' parents joined us and we ate until we were ready to pop! This wasn't too hard since we pigged out earlier in the day! Around 9:30, we started blasting off fireworks while we waited for the Stadium of Fire fireworks to begin. Daniel acted as Master of Ceremonies, and pyrotechnician. Jason stayed close to Andres and Carlos. Gloria was content to sit on the steps with Kinsey. Erica and Natalie just sat and watched with me. We had a lot of fun!


Daniel "matching" the firework.


Get out of the way!


The "Final Granaly"


Jason keeping close to Andres


Daniel rolling his eyeballs at Mom. Yes, he is getting closer to being a teenager than I am willing to admit! Notice the car that started to pass by as I took the photo.


Grandma Gloria with Kinsey

Grandpa Carlos with Jason


Jason hiding the best he could. I finally put him in his crib, and he was out in about 15 minutes!


Here's my cute Natty



And Erica. She is good at escaping when I whip out the camera. Daniel, Natty, and Jason all are anxious and willing to stand in front of the camera while making goofy faces. So, I have to sneak with Erica, but she actually smiled rather than scowled this time!

I love the 4th of July! It started when I was young and always anticipated the fun that went along with the party part of the day. Picnics, fireworks, parties, fireworks, candy, fireworks, parades, fireworks, fireworks, fireworks!

As I have grown up I have learned how unique our freedom is. We can do almost anything we want. We can say almost anything we want. We can be almost anything we want! Yes, even if we think what others are doing, saying or being is stupid, wrong, or irresponsible, they have the same freedoms we have. We are not forced to think or act in a way someone else decides is the best way. I have also learned that these freedoms are being threatened every day by outsiders, but worse by those who enjoy living in the United States of America! I have learned that we have to be diligent in keeping what we hold dear pure and simple. There are too many people, if you can call them people, who are indecent, immoral, amoral, ignorant, and just plain mean! I can't believe that our soldiers are being treated so poorly. My grandpa Mendenhall was a WWII veteran, and I never saw the disrespect for him and his friends that I have been witnessing now. Whether we agree with the war or not, the soldiers out there risking their lives are doing so to protect our freedom. We need to show them at least a little respect!


Anyway, I'll get off my soapbox now...I still enjoy Independence day and spend some time thanking my Heavenly Father for the wonderful country I live in. And yes I still like the fireworks!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

How cute I still cant handle how cute of a family you guys have!!! Your kids are so loving and sweet! Lets just hope that when me and Tyler have children they will be as cute as yours......cuz if not I am going to have to keep your kids away from mine!! haha

a.men said...

It was fun!

The Gulls said...

It looks so much fun. Did your kids love the fireworks? Corbin was a little scared of them at first but got use to them.

Amber Maye said...

Hi Analee, I just wanted to say hi. I love looking at your cute kids on your blog. I finally started a blog too, so you'll haved to come check mine out. -amber