Friday, July 4, 2008

Leapin' Lizard!

Yesterday afternoon I went with Jason to dump a diaper, and when we were just about to step on it, a lizard leaped to the garbage can wheel. It was quite a surprise, and Jason didn't know whether to s&!# or go blind! I don't think it is native to Utah. I have only seen the tiny ones that our dog Teela chased around when she was alive. This looks like it might have been someones pet that escaped or was released. It looks pretty cool, and the kids wanted me to catch it, but it started to come at me, and I jumped back a foot and it took off across the road! What a chicken I am!
Take a look at the pics I got of it!






This is where it started to come at me!

I just found out that this lizard is native to Utah! That is so cool!!! This is where I found the info http://dwrcdc.nr.utah.gov/rsgis2/search/Display.asp?FlNm=crotbici
It's called Great Basin Collared Lizard or CROTAPHYTUS BICINCTORES if you want the scientific name.
So, look out for lizards this summer!

1 comment:

Amanda said...

You think you're a chicken?! I would have started hyperventilating, crying, and gotten out of there as fast as possible if I saw that thing! I'm scared of everything!

The weird thing is: I went on a field trip with the kids at my work yesterday to Red Butte Gardens and they have giant lounging lizards that you can sit on, and one of them was a collard lizard. I learned all about those yesterday! Crazy!